Saturday, August 15, 2009

Y Generation

One fine morning, Lon, Lela (good friends of mine), Ganesan (an old friend of more than 15 years), Jane Lazaar (Financial Accounting sifu) and myself got into a loud conversation. The topic : Y Generation


Story 1: Class sessions
My story:
I remembered my early years of teaching. When students complained about their lecturers, I’d tell them to adapt to the lecturer. The reason being the lecturer had reached a certain age where changing his or her style was not possible. But try to tell this to your students now. They will stare at you as if saying, what the hell are you talking about. The conclusion is, we, the lecturers will have to change our classroom style to adapt to the students' style. So that they are attracted to us and would want to come to class.

I had the chance to attend a teaching workshop organised by ACCA. One of the facilitators were so energetic. She would run around the room and dance. The other facilitators were saying that students liked to attend her sessions back home (in the UK, that is).

Jane said:
we can sing and dance in class now so that the students have fun while learning. Imagine doing this 20 years ago!!!!! They would complain about us like hell!!

Me:
I’m afraid if we start to sing and dance, the students might run away from our classes, thinking that we are a bunch of crazy lecturers. (Trying to imagine people my age, and older, singing and dancing in class. Not a very nice picture, NOT AT ALL!!!!)

Story 2: On Parents
Jane
Remember we had to listen to our parents. We tried to please our parents. But with the kids today?

I saw my daughter wearing a new outfit and I asked her, is that a new dress? She looked at me and said, I showed to you the other day. You don’t remember aaaa? (In other words, you’re old, mum... you forget easily!)

When I complained that my body is aching, they couldn’t be bothered. But remember when our mothers complained of body ache? we would give her a gentle message, thinking that that was what made them happy, right?

My kid once asked, why are you walking like that? And I had been walking with a limp for many days, she didn’t even realise it.

Ganesan,
My wife asked their younger son to massage her because her shoulder was aching. The boy said, I’m not the only son!!!!

Jane's conclusion:
Then what generation are we? The “deprived generation”!!!!

No comments: